Roast garlic, pumpkin & blue cheese galette
Ingredients (serves 4)
· 1kg butternut pumpkin
· 2 tbs olive oil
· 1 garlic bulb
· 1 brown onion, chopped
· 2 tbs chopped fresh sage leaves, plus 1 whole leaf to garnish
· 375g block puff pastry
· 125g parmesan cheese, grated
· 100g blue cheese, crumbled
· 1 egg, beaten
1. Preheat oven to 200°C. Grease and line a 33cm pizza or baking tray.
2. Halve the pumpkin lengthways, then remove and discard the seeds. Rub the edges with 1/2 tablespoon of the oil.
3. Remove the outer skin from the garlic bulb, break into cloves and toss, with skins on, in 1/2 tablespoon of the remaining oil. Place the cloves in the pumpkin cavity, then place cut side down on a baking tray (so the garlic is enclosed under the pumpkin) and bake in the oven for 1 hour. (If pumpkin is not soft, remove garlic and continue cooking until soft.) Scrape pumpkin flesh into a bowl and discard the skin. Squeeze garlic from their skins into the bowl and mash well. Set aside.
4. Heat the remaining oil in a small frying pan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook for 1-2 minutes until softened. Add the sage, then stir into the pumpkin mixture. Season well with salt and pepper and set aside to cool.
5. Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured board. Cut out a circle about 33cm in diameter and place on the pizza tray. Prick the base with a fork, leaving a 5cm border.
6. Add the parmesan and blue cheese to the pumpkin mixture and stir to combine. Pile into the centre of the pastry, then use a fork to spread the mixture evenly within the border. Fold in the pastry edges and garnish with a sage leaf. Brush edges with egg and bake for 25 minutes until pastry is golden. Serve warm.
Can report that there is not much left on the serving plate.
Must also give credit to David, for lending a hand.